Tuesday 17 May 2011

How I Met Your Mother - S6 E24 - Challenge Accepted

Ted is thinking of reconnecting with Zoey but Robin and Barney are determined to meddle in his affairs. Lily gets sick and Marshall is worried he will too.


Spoilers after the jump.

This was a tragically disappointing way to end the season, I can't quite put my finger on what went wrong but it seemed like a combination of a whole bunch of things. First of all, I figured out within about three seconds that Lily was actually pregnant. The idea that she got food poisoning was introduced way too early in the episode for it to be anything else. I'm not sure if that was the intention or not, and it made me confused about how I should feel when Marshall started making his preparations for being ill. Other than thinking "Oh Marshall, you so crazy."

As I speculated last week, they stoked the flames of that old Barney/Robin thing which really rubbed me the wrong way because I never liked that pairing. Her relationship with Ted felt a lot more real than the one with Barney which to the untrained eye looks like it only happened because a lot of people who like crack pairings wrote into the show. So then we get a whole bunch of watery eyes and concerned looks, the most glaring being Robin's smile fading into a sad frowny face when Barney ran into Noora near the end of the episode. More on that in a minute.

I just couldn't take any of the Barney/Robin nonsense seriously. Just because a writer writes and writes their little heart out trying to make it fly, it just does not. Every time they look at each other it makes me cringe because I know that the Powers That Be are trying to force them together but there is no spark between the actors. Back to Noora, where did she come from? Did Robin call her? It just seemed like she appeared from nowhere to serve the plot. More serving the plot nonsense is the wedding which turns out to be Barney's. Um, WHAT? I feel totally cheated by that. What is 'a little ways down the line' supposed to mean? A month? Five years? After an episode dedicated to explaining that Ted was going to be his buddy from Ohio's best man and that was scheduled to happen around now, what the hell is this? The bride is of course conveniently not revealed because we were being scammed from the very start. The whole thing makes me wanna puke.

Speaking of puking! Actually I think we already covered that. I will say that the environmental lawyer Marshall was interviewing for was every bit as pious and sanctimonious without even realizing it as you would expect. I nearly had an aneurysm when they had that mind-blowingly stupid Pacific Garbage Island episode, if we have to suffer through more politicized bullshit on this show, I won't be happy. The lack of payoff really pissed me off. What a waste of a finale. The only mildly interesting part was the reveal that Ted and Zoey are OK with each other, which was nice because they had been able to maintain a good relationship when they were opposed anyway.


"How I Met Your Mother" airs Mondays on CBS at 8:00 pm EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment