Tuesday 8 March 2011

Mad Love - S1 E4 - Little Sister, Big City

Kate's sister visits New York while Larry and Connie try picking up mates in the bar.


Spoilers after the jump.

I know it happens in real-life because I've seen it more often than is healthy for my constitution but it's still tough to swallow a fat, vile slob like Larry pulling thin, attractive women. It's never really explained why Kate's sister Julia goes for him either. At first I assumed she was drunk, but it seemed premeditated in reality.

It struck me that Julia's problem with Kate is not so different from Kate's problem with Connie in last weeks episode. Connie worked hard to produce elaborately awesome parties for Kate when she really just wanted simpler connection while Kate treats Julia as a child which she begrudges. In each case, the resentful person seems unable to understand why their friend/sister acts in this way and is thus incapable of being truly grateful. In Connie's case, she actually did make something fun seem like a whole lot of work but Julia to me at least, justifies the way Kate treats her with her immature choices. That sort of behavior is pretty celebrated on these kinds of shows though so further analysis is not really indicative of anything.

This episode was pretty thin on substance otherwise. Even Kate's feelings of betrayal towards the rest of the group is sort of brushed aside at the end and not really dealt with. I'm not real interested in Ben or Kate as individuals or a couple. I've already made clear my reservations on Larry. I did like the exchange he had in keeping up the pretense of an immoral liaison with star of the show Connie (Judy Greer) though. It's fine for mindless fun - better than Two and a Half Men anyway.


"Mad Love" airs Mondays on CBS at 8:30 pm EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment